Monday 7 June 2010

Garden and Allotment News

As promised, I got myself organised and went down to the allotment to take a photo or our newly erected fruit cage, built entirely from pallets. if this doesn't keep the birds off, I don't know what will!



We also harvested our first proper veg last night. I was making Thai Green Curry so popped down and picked some peas a mangetout and they were yummy (although not as yummy as when the pods are full of peas!). Hopefully this early harvest along with all of the rain and sun we're getting will encourage plenty of peas to form:



On our jaunt out yesterday we bought a new addition to our plat family - this is Hoppy, he's a Hop! It's a Fuggles variety, famous for it's beer making qualities. Once we have got around to building our pergola in the garden he will climb up one side. We're not intending to use it for beer making (although maybe one day!) it's more orgnamental with a nod to traditional Kentish produce.



Our garden if now full of Iris of all shapes and sizes - the smaller ones being my favourites - but we have a few medium sized ones which are also lovely just popping up. I thought they were all purple until the heavy rain encouraged this little lady to pop our head out, isn't she lovely:



I have been talking for ages about wanting a Fig tree to give the garden some exciting texture and my mum and Nick took a cuttting from their plant. I wasn't sure how it would do and for the first couple of weeks didn't show much sign of life until I potted it up and this happened. Hurrah! This weather is perfect to encourage growth so hopefully he'll keep on growing:

1 comment: