Thursday 9 July 2009

Summer Daze

What a busy week it's been!

Take That really were brilliant - we were old ladies and sat down at the back rather than joining the crush standing but what an amazing show they put on:



The 1st Tonbridge Beer Festival was also excellent - we had 8 friends come and visit for the day and we spent a day sitting in the sun and enjoying real ales and beers. I started with some Hampshire brews, which were as good as ever and moved over to Kent but I think the Hogs Back Brewery offerings from Surrey (which is the closest brewery to where I grew up) provided the most drinkable of the day. We ended up drinking for 12 hours but as we were we sipping halves rather than glugging pints we didn't overdo it too much. We were really lucky with the weather too, these beautiful clouds were on show in the early evening:



Then, on Sunday, off to Devon. We stayed in a wonderful farm B&B on the first night - we had a cream tea to greet us on arrival, a wonderfully comfortable room in which to watch the Wimbledon final then off to a local pub for some fantastic grub - I had home made chicken pie with piccalilli and chips. Bliss! For the next two nights we stayed in a farmhouse near Budleigh Salterton with my dad, step-mum, brother and grandad who were visiting from Germany for the week. What a lovely area it was and we found this little gem of a mill (Otterton Mill) which had a bakery, cafe and art galleries/shops - Matt and I treated ourselves to tea and cakes and my dad bought me a ring for my birthday, which is just lovely. The mill was so beautiful we could have stayed all day:



We travelled home yesterday and it was so lovely to get home to our little house and see the girls, we missed them! I wondered around the garden and picked two bunches of flowers:





I am really enjoying our house in the summer, it's so welcoming.

So, it's been a busy week and it's not done yet - today is my birthday so I had a wonderful smoked salmon and scrambled egg bagel in bed this morning and we're off to Tunbridge Wells in a while shopping then tomorrow Matt has a surprise day planned for me which is very exciting. The week then ends with our summer party - 20-odd people will descend on our house dressed as scouts and brownies to celebrate the Jamboree! We always have a theme to our parties and everyone embraces it so well!

No comments:

Post a Comment