Sunday 15 August 2010

It's all over!

At last, after 3 weekends of work, the pergola and paving is complete! We finish the weekend once again, absolutely knackered, but satisfied to be done!

Here it is:




We're so pleased with it, even if it does look a bit orange at the moment! I have planted the hop on the right, with the fig tree in front as well as some wild strawberries which I had in pots but I thought would be lovely rambling around the base of the fig once they get the chance. I can't wait to see how it develops over the years as the greenery takes over. I have ordered our grape vine (Kentish Claret) to go on the left hand side. I can't wait to get a little bench to go underneath it...hopefully next weekend!

As you can see, the lawn has taken a bit of a battering so I have sowed some grass seed and hopefully it'll recover in no time.

Other news of the day is that our beautiful Hollyhock took a battering in the wind today and sadly one of the stalks snapped. Sad for the front garden but happy for the house because I stripped the flowers off and filled a couple of vases. Lovely!




It's got to be bedtime soon. It's been such an active weekend with all of the digging and two outings on my new bike. I'm so glad I'm working from home tomorrow - lie in!

4 comments:

  1. Your hollyhock is soo pretty, I can't wait for seeds. I notice you have finally introduced some tack to your garden, two pretty pinwheels, see some tack is lovely. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks amazing and faintly the Orient comes to Kent. It was be so beautiful one the plants grow up over it and cool and calm. The garden looks much bigger.

    Pinwheels?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little windmills that spin in the wind (I think pinwheel is an Americanism but I can't remember the English name) - down on the right in the fig pot. They can from Whitstable. Matt has noticed them yet. Shhh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't forget to keep the Hollyhock seeds for me after the flowers are done! I have instructed mummy to gather seeds for me whilst visiting you this weekend :) x

    ReplyDelete