Saturday 14 August 2010

I want to ride my bicycle

Tonbridge, despite being a small town, has 3 bike shops! The best, in my humble opinion is a little shed crammed full of second hand bikes run by a man who, we are told, as a further 200 in his garden at home as well as a load more in a lock up! For some time we have been pondering whether to get a bike so, finding ourselves with a free Saturday morning, we paid him a visit.

We were seriously tempted by the tandem he had standing there but decided that it might not be very practical! So, I am now the proud owner of a very lovely metallic orange Puch Sprint...



Isn't she beeeeeooootiful? I immediately popped down to one of the other bike shops (somewhat larger!) and got her a basket which I think she wears very well indeed.

I haven't really riden a bike for at least a decade but was pleased with how well I got on. I did a turn of the park, discovering a little village of barges on the river which I didn't know existed. I let Matt have a go too. The bike man is going to see if he has any vintagy men's bikes at home so we will pop back next Saturday to find out and, fingers crossed, we can both have one!

8 comments:

  1. Sooooooo beautiful. I will have to pay a trip to the fabric shop and choose some appropriately coloured fabric to make you a basket cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. .... and it came fitted with a bell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely, I have been hunting for a similar bike but pink for months. I may have to visit tonbridge by train!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a pink pashley bike the same place, but it was £100, which is apparently quite cheap for them. Do you want me to see if he'll put it to one side?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looked a bit like this one (but secondhand so a little less shiney)

    http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/poppy-blush-pink.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, that's one of the bikes I have been eying up for months but they cost four times that new. In exchange for bench you will have to take mummy to bike shop to test for me when she visits you. I really hope no one else snaps it up. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can not wait to collect my new pink bike, thank you so much for your work in finding it. Perfect xx

    ReplyDelete